Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Evidence of the Bizarre and the Beautiful :: Embrace the Ordinary (vol 17)

In these 8+ years of parenting, I've really come to appreciate the peculiar things that I encounter around the home each day courtesy of my kids.  You know, the things that you stumble upon that are at once totally bizarre and completely normal because there are children living in the house.  For example a few of my favorites have been finding a brick of cheddar cheese in the living room rosary/prayer book basket and uncovering a little plastic reindeer in a tupperware of leftover birthday cake.  I love these kinds of things.  They rejuvenate me; they make me laugh and remind me how much I love this life.  They're so unexpected, yet are to be expected.  They help to ground me and remember fondly that my home will never be worthy of a catalog photo shoot, but it is the perfect place for crazy and creative little ones to explore, express, and experiment.  

I also appreciate the bits of beauty that I encounter in our home.  This past week I've had a gorgeous mum (?) above my sink, a hearty flower left over from a Thanksgiving bouquet Russ had brought home weeks ago.  It's so cheery and, combined with my brushes from recent painting projects, has been a little bit of pretty in an otherwise chaotic and bizarre kitchen!  

So this week I share with you some evidence of the bizarre and the beautiful in our everyday home life... a roll of toilet paper that I found with a bite mark in it......??????? and my pretty corner above the sink.  They're both so perfectly representative of life here and I love each of them.



“…there is something holy, something divine hidden in 
the most ordinary situations, 
and it is up to each one of you to discover it.”  
St. Josemaria Escriva, Passionately Loving the World


Don't forget to click over to hang out with Gina, the lady who embraces the beauty of ordinary life each week and shares it with us!  

2 comments:

  1. Oh, how I needed this post today. And I'm left wishing SO MUCH again that we were in the same area. ;)

    I have found Legos in the pantry, a Christmas ornament in the vegetable drawer of the fridge, Star Wars figures in the laundry... lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. I'm with Gina! How I'd love to be able to meet up with both of you! Dinosaurs in our kitchen, shoes ev-er-y-where, as well as socks thanks to the boys and my pup, and I always find little toys in my purse that I definitely did not put there. The last one is my favorite. They usually try to sneak things into my purse before we leave to go somewhere. :)

    ReplyDelete

Like the old song says, "comments are a girl's best friend." Or something like that... So... leave a comment! I love chatting here! Pretend you're on my back porch, kick the broken plastic sandbox toys aside, sip your iced coffee, or beer, or (__fill in the blank with your beverage of choice__) and let's talk about all the things, because back-porch blogging is what I do!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...