Saturday, February 28, 2015

Happiness. Lately. February 2015 (vol 9)

Happiness.  Lately.  February.  My monthly collection of "Happiness" - appreciating God's goodness in the little things and seeing his grandeur in the simplicity of my life and "Lately" - what I've been into and up to...  (wherein I reveal that much of February revolved around equal parts snow and James.)

Happiness is...

this face.  I just want to squeeze him and eat him up!!!



the things I find around the house that make me smile and say, "let me get my camera!"



lavender hot chocolate.  Ohhhhhh, this was such. a. treat.   It was rich, decadent, aromatic, and delicious... everything a gourmet hot cocoa ought to be.  And I made it myself!  





clean up time with a handmade dish cloth ;)




big brothers, little brothers...




days that are above ten degrees and Dad's snow blowed a path and Mom lets us get our bikes out??  I guess.

Ruthie was a little teary eyed because she kept falling :(

colored pencils.  And pictures of colored pencils.  I love colored pencils.



when all the neighborhood is out in the mornings.  Snow storms build camaraderie. 



a pretty cookie-making picture...




and happiness definitely is when the kids actually let me get a nice picture of them!!





Lately...


James is weaned.




and James is walking.  Yep.



And because this is my blog and he is the cutest ever and I can do whatever I want, here are even more pictures of Sweet Baby James.  Sorry. 






Dominic made his First Confession!  It truly was an answer to prayer that he was able to receive the Sacrament when he did.  We were hesitant to have him receive the Sacrament amidst all the other kids in the parish religious ed class.  We were given permission to come on the first Saturday of Lent at our parish's regular Confession time - Dominic made his first Confession with our pastor, and then Russ, Aaron and I were able to go also to kick off Lent (so to speak...)  It was just what we had prayed for. 

You can see how laden down with sin Dominic was on the way into church ; Or was that just the cold and snow?  Well, either way, he came out squeaky clean!  And then we had ice cream sundaes that night to celebrate!





We celebrated Ruth's fifth birthday!  She said she wanted a cake that was "the part of the meadow where the grass stops and the wild flowers start and it all blends into the sky. " Not like she has a flair for the dramatic or anything...



I have very limited cake decorating skills, but I think I did ok :)

Aaron built a Lego model of a cargo ship from Ancient Egypt for a special event at the study center the boys attend.  Then he had to carry it through a snow storm to the car to get it there...   February.  ugh.





We took a week off of school lessons for Winter Break.  Instead of regular old math, spelling, reading, we did chalk pastels with Nana from HodgePodge, cozy reading, playing, and art (which has been a popular thing around here lately since Ruth got some sketch pads and art supplies for her Birthday.)  We also read about the American Revolution because to me, that's fun!  It felt so awesome to take a break, but it's been hard getting back into the old routine :(







And I've still been crocheting.  It's been a nice change of pace though, as I've finished up several smaller projects and have gotten back to work on blankets for the boys I started last Spring.  I work on one for a little bit then switch to the other.  Working on a long term project gets boring for me if I don't break it up a little.  I'm not sure what happened with my measurements though...  I thought they were the same width, but it looks like Dominic's blanket (the blue/green and cream) is much wider.  Maybe that will become the length?  Not sure yet...




Also, in other over-the-top awesome crocheting news.......  I taught my sister how to crochet!!!!!!!!!!   And she loves it!  It's like all my dreams are coming true - I have someone who's similarly addicted, texts me throughout the days with her progress and latest projects, and gets it when I bemoan the fact that regular daily responsibilities really interfere with the time I'd rather be crocheting.  Housework is so inconvenient when there's yarn fun to be had!   Anyway, I've got a new Instagram hashtag if you want to stay on top of what Sarah and I are making and want to keep us posted on what you're hooking - hang out with us #dontmindmeimcrocheting :)


*   *   *   *   *   *

Join me in looking back on February and sharing the little tings that were your happiness and some of the things that have been happening lately.
Link up your Happiness. Lately. posts for February here!  (open for a week!)



5 comments:

  1. Oh my, so much happening!
    James' looks seemed to have changed overnight! Such a cutie (not that he wasn't before:)
    Yah for Dominic!! Happy Birthday to Ruth, love her cloak.
    Yes I'd love to find the enthusiasm of the break type to mix with the routine, still struggling all these years later to find the balance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pic of all the kids!! That one is a framer! And congrats to Dominic! I'm so glad he was able to do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many beautiful photos! The one of your son carrying his Lego creation through the snow is the perfect photo to summarize this winter. :)

    I was a cake decorator at Kroger, and I think that cake is superb! What kind of icing is that? Those clouds look so fluffy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine! My sister is a pastry chef, and I'm always so in awe of you folks who can do more with a cake than bake it in glass pan and add sprinkles!
      I don't care very much for the taste of buttercream frosting, so this was just confectioner's sugar and milk and a little cream cheese to soften it. Nothing special :)

      Delete
  4. Love all of your February photos! Especially of the one of all of them together. Beautiful beautiful kiddos! and that Lavender Hot Chocolate! You have to share how you made it! It sounds so amazing and I love all things Lavender. also, the blankets are lovely! And your cake for Ruth! It came out so perfect! I absolutely love how you made it! Great job, momma! Hoping to link up later this week :)

    ReplyDelete

Like the old song says, "comments are a girl's best friend." Or something like that... So... leave a comment! I love chatting here! Pretend you're on my back porch, kick the broken plastic sandbox toys aside, sip your iced coffee, or beer, or (__fill in the blank with your beverage of choice__) and let's talk about all the things, because back-porch blogging is what I do!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...